The UNESCO Fundy Biosphere Reserve is dedicated to conserving biodiversity and promoting sustainable economic development.
To create a diverse network of partners and stakeholders who will work to assist communities and resource sectors on the upper Bay of Fundy achieve a greater level of sustainability, while preserving the area’s natural heritage. This will be achieved by focusing on the following:
- Conservation: To contribute to the knowledge and practices concerning the conservation of ecosystems, species and the natural genetic diversity of the region.
- Sustainable Development: To foster and promote sustainable development, i.e. development that is ecologically, culturally, economically sustainable across human generations.
- Capacity Building:Provide a forum for dialogue and information sharing between communities, resource sectors, government agencies and researchers. It will achieve this through strategies that will focus on: outreach, education, monitoring and research.
The objectives are to:
- Provide a forum for dialogue and information sharing between communities, resource sectors, government agencies and researchers.
- Create a cooperative network of partners who will work to assist communities to achieve greater sustainable development.
- Develop a governance model based on Research, Monitoring Education and Outreach Committees